-
September 17th, 2004, 01:20 AM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
Hello Altec users,
Can anyone tell me how the model 19 xo will work with a different horn for the mids? I am thinking of an 800 Hz 90 degree radial from that ?other manufacturer? only because it doesn?t ring like a cowbell and I happen to have a pair. While we are on the subject of model 19s can anybody compare the N1201-8A to the N1285-8A (in 1200 Hz mode) as far as suitability for use in a 19 style speaker? Thanks in advance for any help.
Marty
-
September 17th, 2004, 04:23 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Try damping the horns first and putting felt under the magnet cover.
-
September 17th, 2004, 05:03 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Hi martyh45, I believe there is more to the model 19 crossover than just a 1200hz crossover point,Ive biamped the model 19 at a 1200hz point at a 12 db slope & it wasn't as nice as the stock crossover.
I then used 511b horns & crossed over at 500hz & was pleased with the sound of the mids, better snare drum sound, but really just try those other horns that suggest an 800hz crossover point as the stock horns in the model 19 are 811b that are usually crossed over at 800hz in the voice of the theater speaker system, so try it & listen to see if it sounds better to you.
It is easy to kill the horn ring by cutting the welds that are on the center dividers & useing black gasket silicone to fill the gaps left by the blade, just let the gasket calking set & cure for a few days.
-
September 17th, 2004, 08:22 PM
#4
Inactive Member
One horn I always wanted to try with a Model-19 was the horn from the Model-14. Since it's resin there won't be any ringing.
-
September 18th, 2004, 04:44 AM
#5
Inactive Member
The cutoff frequency of the horn from the model 14 is too high to be used with the 1200Hz crossover from the model 19. (I think so anyway)
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks